A Short History of Our District

Galata in 5th Century A.C was built outside of the walls of Istanbul (Constantinople).
Venetians and Genoeses hundred thousands of them formed an important power of commerce in the area. This settlement was the roots of new modern Beyoglu – Galata Design Hotel.
Muslims started living in Beyoglu – Galata after the conquest of Istanbul (1453). Beyoglu was throughout the ages a place where Muslims, Levantines, Ortodoks, Jewish, Armenians lived and worked. Their mosques, synagogues and churches were all around the area.

For those who would like to experience a tradition of Ottoman Turkish cultures , Specially designed Turkish Bath Hammam awaits for Beyoglu Faik Pasha Hotels Guests.
The  antique marble basin bath (kurna), hot mazarine ”Göbek Taşı” ,hand made copper bowls (Hamam Tası) and Pots (Testi) are used in this traditional Hammam atmosphere.

Faik Pasha Hotels Hammam is designed only for a couple or single use. It is not open for public. Only for our guests comfort and relaxation.
Hygenie and  natural products: These are our SPA main issues.
Experienced and trained estheticien works in Faik Pasha SPA. Only to get an appointment from Faik Pasha Hotels Front Office is enough to reach this service.

Faik Pasha Hotels Spa is a luxury collection of Day SPA.  Offering a wide range of beauty treatments and professional expertise in comfortable surroundings. Designed to breathe new vitality into all visitors. Discover exclusive face, body products by our fully qualified spa therapist. Our hotel offers a full range of massages from soothing face massages to full body massages. One will fit you perfectly and leave you feeling fabulous all over. Hotel with Turkish bath Istanbul.
In the  SPA Center, we use all kind of Natural Oils from Anatolia.

Galata Tower

For those who would like to experience a tradition of Ottoman Turkish cultures , Specially designed Turkish Bath Hammam awaits for Beyoglu Faik Pasha Hotels Guests.
The  antique marble basin bath (kurna), hot mazarine ”Göbek Taşı” ,hand made copper bowls (Hamam Tası) and Pots (Testi) are used in this traditional Hammam atmosphere.

Faik Pasha Hotels Hammam is designed only for a couple or single use. It is not open for public. Only for our guests comfort and relaxation.
Hygenie and  natural products: These are our SPA main issues.
Experienced and trained estheticien works in Faik Pasha SPA. Only to get an appointment from Faik Pasha Hotels Front Office is enough to reach this service.

Faik Pasha Hotels Spa is a luxury collection of Day SPA.  Offering a wide range of beauty treatments and professional expertise in comfortable surroundings. Designed to breathe new vitality into all visitors. Discover exclusive face, body products by our fully qualified spa therapist. Our hotel offers a full range of massages from soothing face massages to full body massages. One will fit you perfectly and leave you feeling fabulous all over. Hotel with Turkish bath Istanbul.
In the  SPA Center, we use all kind of Natural Oils from Anatolia.

Taksim Square

Taksim Square, situated in the European part of Istanbul, Turkey, is a major tourist and leisure district famed for its restaurants, shops, and hotels. It is considered the heart of modern Istanbul, with the central station of the Istanbul Metro network. Taksim Square is also the location of the Monument of the Republic which was crafted by Pietro Canonica and inaugurated in 1928.
The monument commemorates the 5th anniversary of the foundation of the Republic of Turkey in 1923, following the Turkish War of Independence.

Beyoğlu

Beyoglu / Galata is a district located on the European side of İstanbul, Turkey, separated from the old city (historical peninsula of Constantinople) by the Golden Horn. It was known as Galata / Pera during the Middle Ages, and this name remained in common use until the early 20th century and the establishment of the Turkish Republic.

According to the prevailing theory, the Turkish name of Pera, Beyoglu, is a modification by folk etymology of the Venetian ambassadorial title of Bailo, whose palazzo was the most grandiose structure in this quarter.
The informal Turkish-language title Bey Oğlu (literally Son of a Lord) was originally used by the Ottoman Turks to describe Lodovico Gritti, Istanbul-born son of Andrea Gritti, who was the Venetian Bailo in Istanbul / Galata during the reign of Sultan Bayezid II and later elected Doge of Venice in 1523.

Pera Design Hotel

Bey Oğlu thus referred to Lodovico Gritti, who established close relations with the Sublime Porte, and whose mansion was near the present-day Taksim Square.
Located further south in Beyoglu and originally built in the early 16th century, the “Venetian Palace” was the seat of the Bailo.
The original palace building was replaced by the existing one in 1781, which later became the “Italian Embassy” following Italy’s unification in 1861, and the “Italian Consulate” in 1923, when Ankara became the capital of the Republic of Turkey

The district encompasses other neighborhoods located north of the Golden Horn, including Galata (the medieval Genoese citadel from which Beyoğlu itself originated, which today is known as Karakoy. Tophane, Cihangir, Sishane, Tepebasi, Tarlabasi, Dolapdere and Kasimpasa, and is connected to the old city center across the Golden Horn through the Galata Bridge and Unkapanı Bridge. Beyoglu is the most active art, entertainment and night life center of Istanbul.

Çukurcuma Mosque

It is said that while conquering Istanbul (1453), Fatih Sultan Mehmet rested and practiced prayer at Cukurcuma. Cukurcuma Mosque (Muhittin Molla Fenari Mosque, 1541-1547) was constructed by great Ottoman Architect Mimar Sinan.

Faik Pasa Street

Our Street is named as Faik Pasa (Francesco Della Suda) was the chief pharmacist in Ottoman Army and born in Syria, came from an Italian family (when he was 12) called Della Suda. He was a famous pharmacist in Sultan Abdulaziz rule, and his son Giorgia Della Suda (Faik Pasha II.) also was a pharmacist. They both had a Pharmacy in Galata / Beyoglu.
(Grand Son of Faik Pasha I : Mr. Francesco Della Suda also lived in Faik Pasa Street.)
First example of practicing modern western municipality began in Cite de Pera, Beyoglu. It was named in 1858 6th Suit after Paris’s famous 1857 sixieme arrondissement which was a very rich and famous district. The “sixerne arrondissement” in Paris (established in 1857, which was the most richest and famous district of the city) was taken as an example by Ottoman Empire. In spite  of being the first western municipality, Beyoglu was named sixth suit in 1858.

Galata Dervish Lodge

The history of the Galata Dervish Lodge, which is located around tunnel in Beyoglu is formed in 1491. Sema Shows which are performed every second and last Fridays of each month, forms a bridge between past and today.
The buildings also serves as a museum.
By Sultans moving his palace to Dolmabahce, many hospitals, palaces, schools were built around the area and this put Istanbul Beyoglu into focus.

Tunnel

The worlds second oldest metro, Tunnel was built in 1873 and the tram started operating in 1913 in Beyoglu, and it was the first in Istanbul.

Naum Theatrel

Today’s Cite de Pera  used to house Naum Theatre which was one of Istanbul’s first theatres. The first performance in this theatre was Lucrezia Borgia. In 1844 Naum Theatre couldn’t survive a big fire and was rebuilt as Hristaki Passage (Cicek Pasaji).

Mısır Apartments

Misir Apartment which is the most historical places of Beyoglu was built by famous architect  Hovsep Aznavuryan with Abbas Halim Pasha’s request. The famous restaurant and night club 360 restaurant is located on the upper floor of this building

Botter Building

Dutch tailor Jean Botter was  Sultan Abdulhamid’s tailor. He wanted famous architect Raimondo d’Aronco to built this building in Art Nouveau style in 1890.

Saint Antoine Church

Sent Antuan is the church which Muslims visit the most in the world. The church is visited by people coming from every religion who live in Istanbul.
The buildings construction began in 1230 and was a work of the architect Giulio Mongeri.
Today Beyoglu / Galata is a cultural and historical heritage and an urban site. The municipality of Beyoglu has located these historic buildings and labelled them under a Project named Beyoglu’s Memory. İstiklal Street is becoming an open air museum. Our guests will enjoy to explore Istiklal Street, which is a very short walk away from our hotel.                                 

Cercle d’Orient

This imposing building which stands on the old Grand Rue de Pera (Istiklal Street), is the work of the Imperial Alexander Vallaury architect.
It was built in the late nineteenth century and served as foreign diplomats circle.
Consisting of three storeys high, the building had shops on the ground floor, meeting rooms and ballroom on the first floor, and apartments on the second.
Some administrators were staying there, as was the case of Louis Rambert, also director of the RTM. Circles the Ottoman capital had a “charitable” function, but were also known as nest of spies. It organized charity balls and foreigners gather there.
Le Cercle d’Orient also had an addiction to Moda, on the shores of the Marmara, for the summer months.
Government nationalized the two buildings in the years 40.
Currently the ground floor is still occupied by shops, like the famous pastry Inci where profiterole was invented.
The upper floors are mostly empty.

Hacopulo Passage

In Hacopulo Passage The young Turks were meeting and making discussions about the westernization process of the Empire. This passage brings a kind of carnival atmosphere with tea shops, jewelers, typical shops of selling tailors materials and book stores. And the passage is also voted as one of 10 most beautiful passages.
The population of Beyoglu /Galata which is currently 225.000, may reach up to a few millions because of businesses, entertainments, cultures and shopping centers.

Tunnel Passage and Square

There are open air cafes bars and old book stores around Historic tunnel passage.
The building which is known as Tunnel apartments contain 3 buildings which are designed in neoclassic style.
This passage was built in 1883 and its first owner was an Ottoman Jew.
This building was restored in 1960 – 1970 and was used as a business center. The building has five floors and the shops in the enterance are in between corinthian columns. This passage has preciously decorated cafes and restaurants.

Khedive Palace

The building which was built in 1841 is the first hotel of Pera with the European influence. Lebon Patisserie and Greek Taverna Eleos was located in this building.

WordPress Themes